SnoTapWI Top Five: Aaron Rodgers Quotes From McAfee & Hawk
We have not heard much from Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers this offseason. He appeared on his good friends’ show, Pat McAfee and A.J. Hawk, as a surprise guest. As usual, Rodgers had some major quotables through the interview. There were many things to grab from that. Instead of choosing one, why not look at all five of them. Matt Schneidman of The Athletic did a great job of keeping track of all the quotes. Let’s pick out the best quotes from it.
5. Rodgers nearly had a nightmare situation in Peru – Rodgers planned to have a vacation in Peru. But he had to immediately leave due to COVID-19. Rodgers got out of there, but we nearly had to go all-hands-on-deck for Rodgers. Could you imagine if Rodgers ended up stuck in Peru? Would President Trump tweeted about Rodgers and getting him home? That would have happened.
4. Aaron Rodgers tells Herbie to fuck off – Okay, he didn’t say that. But that is basically what he said about ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit’s comments about how he doesn’t think football will happen this Fall with COVID-19. Rodgers is spot on about that this fear-mongering nonsense. I appreciate this from Rodgers. As I said during the CBA discussion, Rodgers acts like a leader more often than not in so many different ways. He is going to run for office someday.
3. Rodgers wants names for the CBA – So, this is something that I wondered about a few weeks ago when the CBA passed. Would ‘No’ vote players take it out on those who said ‘yes’? That is a classic union move. I don’t think Rodgers will actually get names or ask for names in the Packers locker room. I hope things do not get uncomfortable with the team when it comes to this sort of thing. Let’s hope they act like adults.
2. Aaron Rodgers on Packers free agency moves – He makes a joke about Devin Funchess’ last name (By the way, no contract signed yet?) then talks about how Green Bay doesn’t need to make many moves. This might have been the most refreshing comment of the entire 30+ minutes. Rodgers has been critical of Ted Thompson in the past with some passive-aggressive comments. But there is nothing like that here. It appears that Rodgers is truly happy with the situation. I don’t know if it’s been that way in many years.
1. Rodgers wants to play in Green Bay until his career ends – To me, this is the biggest quote from the whole thing. Packers quarterback wants to be here until the very end. He realizes that the Packers do not usually keep around veterans until the bitter end. But Rodgers wants to keep playing at an elite level until the very end. It seems to me that Rodgers wants to be more like John Elway versus Tom Brady or Brett Favre. We’ll see if it happens that way.
There are other quotes in there as well but to me, these are the best ones from Rodgers. I’m very excited about the season for the Packers. They haven’t been a Super Bowl contender in quite some time.